Swans School supports a range of charities both locally and globally involving the pupils with fundraising events and wherever possible both the primary and secondary students.
Fundraising ranges from cake sales, sponsored events, muftie days to Gala events for specific charities. In addition, whenever there is a global catastrophe the students always suggest how they can respond and act to support the humanitarian aid, thus encouraging the students to have empathy for people and places around the world. In the past year, the students have raised money for the charities mentioned below and in addition for a boy called Jake who spends most of his life in Malaga Hospital and requires support to fund his treatment. We have been given an award from The Royal British Legion in recognition of our fundraising achievements for the charity.
All our IB diploma students must complete the CAS (Creativity, Action, and Service) aspect of their course. Part of these activities are focused on providing a service to the community they live in, or contributing to an area of global significance.
Rifcom is a non profit charitable organisation run by volunteers from Gibraltar and Spain, who are committed to making a real difference to their neighbouring communities in the Rif Mountains of Morocco; living within their sight and yet in poverty.
- to make a positive contribution to a developing world community
- to create a source of income sustained by the local community
- to establish and improve existing community centres (schools, health centres etc) and to develop a model for future sustainable projects.
Please click on the link for more information www.rifcom.org.
Swans CAS students have been working with this charity for the past three years under the guidance of staff member Anne Smyth (also Rifcom´s School Liaison Officer) and in May 2014 and September 2015 visited the area and worked on projects there.
PAD is a privately run charity in the Mijas/Fuengirola area that specialises in the rehabilitation and re-homing of abandoned dogs and cats. Since the shelter opened in December 1998 it has found new homes for 5000 dogs and cats.
Over the past four years, Swans Primary has raised over 20.000€, through our sponsored spell.
For more information, please click on to their website:www.padcatsanddogs.org
This year we will be supporting our local cancer charity Cudeca. Unfortunately too many of us, in one form or another, have been affected by this terrible disease. Our support will help Cudeca continue to:
• Offer high standards of palliative care to patients suffering from cancer and other advanced or terminal diseases
• Offer support and advice to those who take care of patients throughout the illness, after it, and throughout the bereavement period
• Offer a personalised response to the needs of patients and their families, both at home and in their centre through their caring programmes
• Develop innovative therapies actively seeking to maintain patient dignity and autonomy so that they can have the highest quality of life in spiteof the limitations of their illness
• Give care to everyone in need regardless of race or religion
• Develop training and research programmes that contribute to extending palliative care that assures a constant improvement
More information can be found by following the link below:
The Royal British Legion: Marbella
The Royal British Legion is the UK’s leading Armed Forces charity. Members get together through the network of branches and clubs all over the country and overseas to participate in social, fundraising and welfare activities. For more information visit