Students in Years six to eleven take part in two timetabled lessons of PE per week. There is a wide choice of activities including:
- Invasion games: Football, Basketball, Hockey, Netball and Volleyball
- Aquatic activities: Swimming stroke development, competitive swimming, personal survival and water polo
- Fitness: Circuit training, cross country running, aerobics and fitness testing
- Individual activities: Gymnastics, Dance, Athletics
The aim in PE lessons is to encourage all students to take part in practical lessons and to learn a range of skills and techniques in different activities whilst improving their fitness.
Students are offered the opportunity in Year 10 and 11 to opt to study GCSE PE. This includes
- 60% Practical
- Students are assessed in 4 practical sports, analysis of performance and their ability to create a personal exercise plan.
- 40% Theory
- Healthy active lifestyle
- Physical activity and healthy mind
- A healthy active lifestyle and your Muscular system
- A healthy active lifestyle and your Skeletal system
- A healthy active lifestyle and your Respiratory system
- A healthy active lifestyle and your Cardiovascular system
All extra-curricular activities are inclusive for all students and free of charge. They are run by the PE department and Swans teachers.
- Lunch time activities: U13 Boys football club, U15 Boys football training, Gymnastics club, Dance show rehearsals, Volleyball club, Hockey club
- After school activities: Girls Football training, U13 Boys football training, U19 Boys football training, U11& U13 Basketball training, U15 & U19 Basketball training, Volleyball training and Swim squad training.
Students who regularly attend training are selected to represent the school in Inter-school fixtures. Swans competitively compete against the schools along the coast and nearly always placed in the top three schools at competition. This academic year we have improved considerably and are excelling in Swimming and Basketball.
Students compete in the following sports:
- Football, Basketball, Hockey, Volleyball, Swimming, Athletics, Cross country, Orienteering, Golf and Padel